Hair accessories are mostly used to hold stray hairs out of your face. This is especially useful if you have long, thick, or curly hair that tends to get messy over the day. Hair accessories can also be worn as ornamentation of style or for fashion purposes. They come in varying shapes, sizes, colors, and patterns, so there’s bound to be something that suits your tastes. Below are some common uses for them:
1) Secure stray hairs
Whether they’re bangs or tendrils around your face, sometimes it’s necessary to keep those bothersome hairs at bay. There are several ways this can be achieved.
Plastic combs can be used to clamp the hair around them. Slide the plastic comb into your hair, then pull out pieces of loose or stray hairs that are in your way or bothering you. This works well for people with long, thick, or curly hair.
2) Hairpins are also useful for holding down those pesky hairs. Just slip them inside your hair and clip them together so they can function as a temporary hair tie until you need it again. You can find these anywhere from drugstores to online stores like Amazon.
3) Bobby pins are very sturdy, so expect them to work even on rough days when many hair ties have already fallen apart. The trick with bobby pins is to use enough of them so that they can hold your hair in place. Slide them through your layers and use additional pins to secure the main pin better, so there is no slipping off.
4) Twisty-ties are inexpensive and easy to find, so they’re a good alternative if you’re on a budget or need something fast and simple. They work like bobby pins where you loop them through each other multiple times until it’s tight enough for its purpose. These tend to take longer than plastic combs but less time than hairpins and bobby pins do when securing stray hairs around your face.
5) Ponytail holders/slides/bands generally work well when your hair is pulled into a ponytail or bun because it’s held tightly against your head then.
6) Hair slides can be used as a decorative element that serves the same purpose as plastic combs and bobby pins. The typical designs for this are butterflies, flowers, or shells which you can purchase from beauty supply shops. They come in varying colors, too, so if you don’t find anything that takes your fancy, ask them to mix some dyes for you. In the end, it’s all up to your personal preference.
Lastly, clips have a wide range of practical uses because they’re very versatile. They can be used to hold hair together at certain sections while keeping it separated from other strands. This way, you avoid creating a bulky-looking bun or ponytail by having lots of hair pulled into one place then secured into a hair tie. This is perfect for people with long hair, preventing the bulky ‘triangle’ look from happening. They can also be used to hold together your bangs or flyaway hairs around your face, especially if you have naturally wavy or curly hair that tends to do it on its own.